Friday, January 1, 2010

Feliz Año Nuevo

Happy New Year!!! (I have to say, however, that this is only my first new year of 2010. Baha'is have another calendar which begins each year on March 21.) Last night, I was awoken from my dinnertime nap by the noises of fireworks. I don't think I could have slept past 12:00am if I tried! The streets were filled with smoke and the laughter of children. People set off fireworks, sprinklers, etc. on the roads near their houses. There is definitely a different culture of safety here, but I've only seen 2 slightly burnt fingers. Oh, and I've got a slight cold. So I'm resting before I travel to the Baha'i summer school, which started today and will continue to the 3rd.

I've recently moved to another family's house here in Olocuilta. Their last name is Salvador, which is actually a common name here. My roommate is elsewhere preparing for her trip back home to Australia, so I'm more or less by myself now. But it's a great opportunity to learn more Spanish!

Recently, I met two other girls who where visiting the country. They had completed their year of service at the Baha'i school, Colegio Ridvan, some time ago. One was from Canada and the other from the US. Both had been planning their return to El Salvador before they even left! It was a nice glimpse of what it will be like for me in the future; the friendships I make here will last a long time.

Diversity is something very important to me and I know we could all do more to embrace our differences. Here, I've been exposed to situations my life at home hadn't yet educated me about. Frequently, I'm in the company of two children, one is autistic and the other mute. Right now, I'm at a loss of words to describe how harmonious the kids play and interact together. Even during times when the ugliness of the world appears in their lives, they take it with a rare maturity. Yet, I know the children I'm talking about have been blessed with loving families and this is not the case for many children here.

On a lighter note, we were watching the History Channel and it was talking about Fairbanks! In Spanish! That was a nice little treat. Okay, que te vaya bien, hope all goes well for you guys!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sig! What a great blog, I love reading about your adventures with Baha'u'llah and humanity. I like the outward looking focus of it too, very wise. I wonder if pictures might help readers understand better the contrasts between wealth and poverty that you write about? We miss you, but are so happy knowing that you are engaged in the service your heart desires. Love you, kjersti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kjersti :) Cept I don't think I can put an album on here, only a photo. If you know otherwise, let me know. I'm regularly putting photos on my facebook!

    ReplyDelete