Monday, December 14, 2009

Guatemala and Other Service Adventures

I taught the majority of a childrens´ class this week! Our virtue of the day was service. After a prayer and short discussion of the meaning of the theme, I helped the children memorize a quote and sing a song (in Spanish). I also read a story to them that demonstrated an example of ¨servicio¨. We end each class with something artistic, usually drawing = so cute!

My usual week here consists of a childrens´ class, multi-faith devotional meetings, two English and virtues classes with local youth and study circles. Baha´is all over the world provide these services to whomever is interested.

Plus, as you may see, I´ve recently been spending time traveling to other parts of El Salvador to teach my faith. During my conversations with people, an attidude of sharing is emphasized. I am not here to preach to people, but to share a message I love dearly. I like this simple, easy-going approach and being able to aquaint myself with amazing people, both of my religion and not.

My roomie, a family from Olocuilta, and I traveled to Guatemala last week. After 5 different buses and 15 hours we arrived in the city of Cobán. I met a lady who had moved there from California 30-some years ago. She had white skin, like my mom, and blue eyes as well. The host family we stayed with looked like my cousins from my dad´s side of the family. I like these reminders of my family a lot and it further demonstrates the unity of mankind. Some women of Cobán wear their traditional blouses and skirts. It was neat to see the mix of old culture and modern clothing walking side by side in the streets. When we visited the Baha´i Center, I could see some beautiful houses of many colors on the hillside. In my mind I thought, ¨Wow, I want to live in one of those houses.¨ Turns out, it was a cemetary...oops.

My new camera was delivered to me by a gracious friend from Fairbanks, who visits the country frequently. A part of me is happy, but it´s also difficult to find joy in such things when you walk in poverty. There are so many beautiful things about life here, but much sadness as well. And I know I´ve just begun to learn about the least of it. I am so lucky and my duty is to share what I was so fortunate to have been given. Love is all around me, but there is a large part of me that can´t rest while there is such injustice in the world.

And please post a comment if you´d like to know more about a certain aspect of my service. My hope is to share positive international news, but also portray as realistic as possible the conditions of life in this country. Hasta luego, adios.

2 comments:

  1. Siggy! I found your blog "accidentally" and am so delighted to see it and read your thoughts and experiences. I was just there! I am Aaron's mom (he's in Chalatenango), and spent 10 wonderful days in that beautiful country. I think I probably met you at a fund-raiser at the Baha'i Center in San Salvador (it was actually kind of cold that evening and I wished that I had a sweater!). I met Ariana -- Aaron and I sat with her at dinner and you probably were there too! I remembered her because I had seen her picture on Facebook.
    What an amazing experience you youth are having - your lives will be forever changed! The people there touched my heart in a way that can only be experienced - they are so rich while so poor! I am saying prayers every day for you all.
    Can't wait to read more......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joan, yeah there were a lot of people there that night! I remember meeting you, I had invited my Alaskan friend Tony and we had a small conversation about life in AK. Yes, Ari was my roommate :)

    I'm happy you enjoyed your trip. I very much understand your words about the type of environment here. Thanks for your comment and support!

    ReplyDelete