Monday, February 22, 2010

On Religion

Dear Reader,

Up until this point I haven't directly said much about my religion. I did this out of respect as I know we live in a society that allows differences of religion to cause tension. However, my faith is something I'd like to share with the whole world. It has also come to my attention, with the trial of 7 Baha'i leaders in Iran underway, that now is the time to addresses this question: What is the Baha'i Faith?

Of all the independent world religions, the Baha'i Faith is the youngest and second-most widespread. Originating in Iran in 1844, it has brought together people from diverse backgrounds. As Christians follow Christ, Baha'is are followers of Baha'u'llah, a Persian nobleman who lived in the 19th century. We believe His teachings will bring about the promised age of peace on earth, but we all must work towards that. We recognize the fundamental unity of all the great religions and the prophets as reflecting the same light of one God.

That's my little introductory blurb for now! The international website is www.bahai.org, viewable in many languages. The Baha'i Writings are available for anyone to read there as well. And, if you have not seen photos of the Baha'i World Center in Haifa, Israel, I encourage you to google some! I'm looking forward to the day I can make my pilgrimage there and see the gardens on Mount Carmel myself.

Thank you for joining my effort to promote knowledge and peace,
Sigourney

No comments:

Post a Comment