Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Que Vida la Mia

What life of mine!

Since my last post I´ve come to realize that I find much happiness in music. However, on Halloween night, a bunch of people decided to have a get-together down the street. Yes, that´s right, again I was serenaded til the wee hours of the morning. I would have joined the festivities, but I had returned to Olocuilta that afternoon from another brief trip to San Salvador. So I was tired. It was a whole new experience hearing ¨Girls just wanna have fun¨ on my costume-less October 31st!

As far as new service projects go, we´ve started a Children´s Class. This consists of singing songs, virtues, and art projects. What´s interesting to note is how the kids were invited to the class. I first met these siblings when they were begging outside of our house. Later, our host had the idea to extend some hospitality to them. So it´s a happy ending to one of the grimmer aspects of life here. And only recently did we successfully stop them from showing up at our gate at 7am and yelling ¨BUENAS¨ at the top of their lungs :) They´re precious.

I also got to visit Colegio Ridvan last week. It is the school I was intended to serve at before my plans changed. About 100 children go there and they are all the sweetest people you´ve seen! My roommate used to teach there for several months, so when she stepped through the door, she was greeted by a mass of exuberant kiddos. What a rockstar moment! They were all so happy and school was so colorful. An outside wall even had a mural on it, que bonita la pared!

My time here has been such a wonderful education already. For now, I´m dedicated to seek out what I find truely matters in life. University is great, for sure, but it´s nice to take some time off work and school. Learning doesn´t occur only in the classroom and I whole-heartedly encourage any student to seize an opportunity like this.

2 comments:

  1. Que fantastico Pook! Te quiero, besos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Sig!

    So glad you finally got to visit Colegio Ridvan. Great news about the new chidren's class. Have any others joined "The Buenas Siblings"? Enjoy the warmth and the plantains. It's supposed to get to -20F by tomorrow.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete